October 4, 2010

I'm back!....with Meringue cookies!

I've clearly taken a hiatus from blogging lately...So many baked goods + so little people to give them to = a few more pounds than I care to disclose. :) With a little more running and a lot less sweets those pounds are gone and I'm back with more waistline friendly confections. I found my first recipe on www.weightwatchers.com. These cookies remind me more of candy than a cookie. They're light, airy and you can have two for only 50 calories....I know, who knew that was even possible! I think these would be adorable at a baby or wedding shower.

CHOCOLATE AND VANILLA MERINGUE COOKIES

4 large egg white(s)
1/2 tsp distilled white vinegar, or apple cider vinegar
1 cup(s) sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder


1. Preheat oven to 200ºF. Line 2 baking sheets with foil.

2. In a large bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until frothy.

3. Add vinegar; beat until soft peaks form. Increase speed to high and gradually add sugar; beat until glossy stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla.

4. Remove half of meringue to another bowl; stir in cocoa until blended.

5. Spoon tablespoons of both meringues onto prepared baking sheets about 1 inch apart each, making about 44 cookies – half vanilla-flavored and half cocoa-flavored. Or you can make marbleized cookies by spooning 1/2 tablespoon of each type of meringue into a mound and then swirling the 2 together with your fingers.

6. Bake until meringues feel dry and crisp all the way through, about 3 hours.

7. Turn off oven; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour.

8. Transfer baking sheets to wire racks to cool completely.

9. Peel meringues off foil and store in an airtight container. Yields about 2 cookies per serving.











You could even use a little food coloring with the vanilla to coordinate with your party theme!





I think the next time I make these I'm going to use a pastry bag and create smaller bite size cookies with different designs.

Have fun baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment